Christian and I (Sarah) are the parents of a 4 yr. old, beautiful, sweet boy named Sven who was diagnosed with Leukemia on 4.19.09. Immediately we started chemotherepy treatment for Sven with the Pediatric Oncology Center @ Stony Brook University Hospital on Long Island, NY. I will outline some highs and lows and most of all type some frustrations away :-)

Thursday, April 8, 2010

An Ugly Monday

I know it's Thursday but had to put some days between what went down on Monday. First I fretted about Monday since last Wednesday. Sven was scheduled for an MRI because he is having bone pain and they want to make sure that the chemo is not causing damage to the the bones. Not only was I worried about the results of the MRI I was more anxious on how Sven was going to take it, he had to be sedated because they needed a contrast which means he is in the machine for 1 1/2 hrs. I tried to talk him through it the night before and that it would be ok to cry, it would be ok to be scared and that I would be right beside him to help him be as brave as he could. Well I broke down, screamed at the receptionist and had a full blown breakdown, uncontrolable sobbing and all, I just saw the terror in Sven's eyes as they tried to get him sedated, it brought me back to the initial diagnosis day when they had to hold him down to start IV's at these times I swear I can feel his terror and I have to stand by and watch it all, thank GOD he recovers more quickly than I do, and as usual Sven had me in giggles all the way home talking about that huge donut machine and how he does not think he will want a donut ever again. God, I love him! Hoorah Sven! Keep fighting!

4 comments:

  1. Heart-breaking....cancer is so cruel...and for someone so young. I read through your posts. You sound like a wonderful mother..keep up the good work! Keep fighting for your little man!

    I'm following from Simply Follow. Would love for you to come visit and follow me. I have a special giveaway that I posted today...that I think you may appreciate (you'll see why..it's about my son)

    Nice to 'meet' you!

    Hope you have a great night,
    Shelley @ Shelley's Swag

    www.shelleysswag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how resislient kids are, but don't beat yourself up by feeling overwhelmed. You are human.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl, you had me in tears in the first few sentences! I'm praying for him and your family! You have ever right to be stressed out but God is definitely going to take care of all your struggles! God is amazing! I stopped by your blog to check it out because you are now following mine (thank you for that!) and found myself wishing there was something that I could do for you all! I'm praying and I know Gods there! I'm following your blog and will return soon!

    Praying!
    Jennifer
    www.lebedafamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing Sven's story with us! I absolutely will enjoy reading about him and his fight to being a survivor and living the long and beautiful life that he deserves. I worked for the American Cancer Society for almost 4 years until recently, and have met so many amazing families that have shared amazing stories of survival. I hope to hear Sven's too!

    If you have not before, you really should consider taking him to a Relay For Life event. They are amazing and they are in almost every community. In case you are interested visit www.relayforlife.org

    Thinking of Sven,

    Dee
    http://free2bmommy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete