Christian and I (Sarah) are the parents of a 4 yr. old, beautiful, sweet boy named Sven who was diagnosed with Leukemia on 4.19.09. Immediately we started chemotherepy treatment for Sven with the Pediatric Oncology Center @ Stony Brook University Hospital on Long Island, NY. I will outline some highs and lows and most of all type some frustrations away :-)

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Compassion

Okay, I just almost mauled a Mom at Sven's school playground...me = super sensitive today. Boys teasing Sven about his hair and trying to pull his hat off. I thought about my reaction to the boys Mom, was I over-reacting, NO! Does the other boy have to know Sven has Cancer and that is why his hair is different, No! I would think that compassion is born with us, it does not have to be a rule, 'do not tease kids with cancer' Sven has seen at the clinic, all kinds of kids with hair, without hair, with tubes in their noses, shunts in their heads, not once has he looked at them any differently then he looks at his NORMAL classmates, nothing we have taught, this is why I cannot accept a half apology that they do not understand that Sven has cancer and that is why the act itself was not that bad. THINK PEOPLE, live a day in our life. Has he not been through enough. Maybe if Sven did not have cancer I myself would not understand, and I hope that I would have still been compassionate enough to see the pain that people have to go through while dealing with this. Grrrrr.

2 comments:

  1. You have every right to feel the way you do. People should be nice and polite to everyone and there should never be teasing of anyone!!!

    I am outraged for you and sorry, but the teacher sounds like a bitch! Sorry, but it is called for.

    Everyone is different in some way and should not be teased.

    I have been reading your posts and I have to say with all respect - you are my greatest fear. I am so sorry for you and you family. No one shoud have to feel the pain you do and the worry.

    No matter what happens in my life, my kids, etc I always think that it is not as bad as having sick kids. I have prayed regularly for you and families like yours ever since I had kids.

    I see that you follow my blog and I hope it makes you laugh. I am following you now as well.

    Back to the teasing - it comes from the parents you know. They haven't taught their kids very well in the "nice" department.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    O boy does this post hit me in the heart! I have gone thru and read a bunch of your posts and what a brave little boy you have! Being the mom of a special needs daughter our whole life we have had children and parents stare at our daughter and family and it does get really old! and the teasing and bullying that is completely unexceptable!! And unfortunately all of this does come from the parents as i have seen parents also stare at our daughter like she was from another planet... I'm so sorry that with all you have to go through on a daily basis ingorance is something else! i will be following and sending good thoughts! keep in touch!
    best,
    shelley
    http://iamstillstandingafterallthistime.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete